Energy efficiency is the cornerstone to reduce your energy bills and carbon footprint. Whether you're remodeling/renovating your home or building or starting from scratch, energy efficiency measures should be considered from the start to get you on the right foundation.
There are a number of areas that you can be improve the energy efficiency of your home or building:
- Building Shell
- Mechanical Systems
- Plug Load
- Ventilation Systems
Through our role as the Renewable Energy Committee, we are here to help residents of Swampscott think about energy efficiency, its benefits, and ways to do it. An energy efficient home or building means: reduced energy costs, less negative impact on the environment, increased comfort inside.
Battle of the Bulb:
Swampscott and Marblehead participated in a competition to see which town could get more residents to take a pledge to switch their incandescent light bulbs to energy-efficient compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs). Outreach was conducted at the schools, in the Swampscott Reporter, and at various events around town.
- Held Fall 2006
- Swampscott's Pledge Goal = 350
- Swampscott's Total Pledges = 581!
- Contest Winner Marblehead = 961 Total Pledges
Community Forum on LEED:
The REC held a community-wide forum to provide information to residents about the benefits of Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED). The LEED Green Building Rating System encourages sustainable green building and development practices through the creation and implementation of universally understood and accepted tools and performance criteria.
Energy Services Contract (ESCO) 2009-2012:
The Town contracted Johnson Controls to perform a number of energy efficiency upgrades and projects at Town and School buildings. The work included:
- Lighting Retrofits & Controls
- Boiler Replacements & Controls
- Steamtrap Replacements
- Refrigerator Controls'
- Co-generator (High School)
Pumping Station Energy Efficiency:
National Grid awarded the Town with monies to perform energy efficiency measures at the pumping station.
- Awarded January 2010
- Amount = $24,000
Big Blue Energy Initiative:
The REC launched the Big Blue Energy program in the fall of 2012. The first phase of the initiative focuses on making homes and businesses in Swampscott more energy efficient and reducing their energy needs. The REC partnered with Next Step Living to promote and educate residents about no-cost home energy audits offered through the Mass Save program.
Additionally, Swampscott was one of two communities selected to take part in the National Grid 2012-2013 Community Initiative. The program was developed by National Grid to help community groups encourage home energy audits as well as other energy-saving upgrades that residents can receive rebates for. The REC is using its Big Blue Energy program to help achieve the goals set by the National Grid program. If those goals are met, the Town will be given an incentive for helping residents to become more energy efficient.
- Launched October 2012
- Goal = 200 Home Energy Assessments by October 2013
- Online Information & Signup
In the News
- 7/22/11 - The Daily Item - "Cogenerator to Heat Swampscott High"
- 10/15/12 - Swampscott Patch - "Big Blue Energy Program Offers Residents Home Audits and Savings"
- 10/16/12 - Swampscott Reporter - "Big Blue Energy Initiative Kicks Off Oct. 22"
- 12/18/12 - Swampscott Patch - "Big Blue Group on the Road to Cutting Energy Costs"
- 1/22/13 - Swampscott Patch - "Free Home Energy Audit Program Wednesday"
- 1/23/13 - Swampscott Reporter - "Saving Money Means Receiving Money: Swampscott Finds Ways To Reduce Energy Use"
- 1/23/13 - Swampscott Patch - "Five Things To Know: Save Means Savings"
- Energy Efficiency Tax Credits
- Energy Improvement and Energy Efficient Mortgages
- Massachusetts New Homes with ENERGY STAR
- Mass Save (Electric) HEAT Loan Program
- Mass Save (Electric) Refrigerator/Freezer Recycling Rebate
- Mass Save (Electric) Weatherization Incentive
- Mass Save (Electric) New Construction and Equipment Incentives
- Mass Save (Electric) Building or Equipment Upgrades