2013-2020 Open Space & Recreation Plan
The new 2013-2020 Open Space & Recreation Plan has been approved by the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs.The final plan is located here
Planning Department Function
The Planning Department provides a wide range of services in an effort to achieve the goals of established planning documents and to improve the level of service provided to the community.
The Planning Department works directly with the following Town boards:
- Technical and administrative support to the Planning Board in the form of residential,commercial and subdivision project review and approval procedures as set forth under the Massachusetts General Laws and the Town of Swampscott Zoning Bylaw and Subdivision Rules and Regulations;
- Technical and administrative support to the Renewable Energy Committee in the form of energy efficiency programs and grants - for both municipal and private benefit;
- Coordinating project review with other Town officials and agencies;
- Assisting petitioners with Planning Board procedures and requirements;
- Meeting with abutters and other interested parties to elucidate applicable bylaws and regulations for projects proposed in their neighborhoods;
- Acting as a liaison between the Planning Board, the public and other town departments, boards and committees as needed.
What is Planning?
There are a number of excellent ways for you to learn more about planning and its role in your community.
- Attend a Planning Board meeting
- Join in a community planning workshop/event
- Watch this video about climate change and planning's role to fix it