PROPOSED PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT
The Town of Swampscott has been notified that the property owner of 133 Puritan Road has submitted an application for site approval to MassHousing. This application is the first step in the potential redevelopment of the property under MGL Chapter 40B. The developer's plans as submitted call for the demolition of the existing structures on the property and new construction of three four-story buildings with a total of 16 residential units (four of those units would be designated as affordable).
Under the MassHousing application process, the Board of Selectmen are provided an opportunity to give comments to MassHousing as they review the application. MassHousing has agreed to grant an extension on that comment window until September 21.
MassHousing performed a site visit at the property on Wednesday, August 23 at 10:30a at which Town staff, board members, and residents attended.
You can review the submitted application packet here.
The Board of Selectmen sent a comment letter (and attachments) in response to the application to MassHousing. The comments and concerns raised in the letter included those provided by residents and Town committees.
Based on MassHousing's review of the application and the feedback received, project eligibility/site approval has been granted. This means the developer has the opportunity, if they choose, to apply for a comprehensive permit (under MGL Chapter 40B) with the Zoning Board of Appeals. The determination letter is available for review here.
Community Development Department Function:
The Community Development Department provides a wide range of services in an effort to achieve the goals of established planning documents and to improve the level of service provided to the community.
The Community Development Department works directly with the following Town Boards:
Historic District Commission
Open Space & Recreation Plan Committee
Rail Trail Design & Construction Advisory Committee
Renewable Energy Committee
Zoning Board of Appeals
Community Development Department Duties:
- Technical and administrative support to the Planning Board in the form of residential, commercial and subdivision project review and approval procedures as set forth under the Massachusetts General Laws and the Town of Swampscott Zoning Bylaw and Subdivision Rules and Regulations;
- Technical and administrative support to the Renewable Energy Committee in the form of energy efficiency programs and grants - for both municipal and private benefit;
- Coordinating project review with other Town officials and agencies;
- Assisting petitioners with Planning Board procedures and requirements;
- Meeting with abutters and other interested parties to elucidate applicable bylaws and regulations for projects proposed in their neighborhoods;
- Acting as a liaison between the Planning Board, the public and other town departments, boards and committees as needed.