5 members (three-year appointments)
2 alternate members (three-year appointments)
Apr 3, 2017
May 1, 2017
Jun 5, 2017
Mar 24, 2017
Apr 21, 2017
May 26, 2017
HISTORIC DISTRICT COMMISSION FUNCTION
Pursuant to the Town's General By-laws (SGB), Article IX, Section 7, the Commission is created to oversee the Historic District of Swampscott.
HISTORIC DISTRICT OF SWAMPSCOTT
The District consists of "district areas" as provided in SGB Article IX, Section 7 (M) which include:
- Frederick Law Olmsted Local Historic District
- Swampscott Fish House Local Historic District
- Swampscott Railroad Depot Local Historic District
- Swampscott Cemetery and Andrews Chapel Local Historic District
COMMISSION POWERS AND DUTIES
As outlined in SGB Article IX, Section 7 (E):
- The Commission shall exercise its powers in administering and regulating the construction and alteration of any structures or buildings within the district as set forth under the procedures and criteria established in (the) By-law. In exercising its powers and duties hereunder, the Commission shall pay due regard to the distinctive characteristics of each building, structure and district area.
- The Commission may adopt, and from time to time amend, reasonable Rules and Regulations not inconsistent with the provisions of (the) By-law or M.G.L. Chapter 40C, setting forth such forms and procedures as it deems desirable and necessary for the regulation of its affairs and the conduct of its business, including requirements for the contents and form of applications for certificates, fees, hearing procedures, and other matters. The Commission shall file a copy of any Rules and Regulations with the office of the Town Clerk.
- The Commission, after a public hearing duly posted and advertised at least 14 days in advance in a conspicuous place at Town Hall and in a newspaper in general circulation, may adopt and from time to time amend guidelines which set forth the designs for certain exterior architectural features which are, in general, suitable for the issuance of a certificate. No such design guidelines shall limit the right of an applicant for a certificate to present other designs to the Commission for approval.
- The Commission shall within 30 days of the beginning of each fiscal year hold an organizational meeting and elect a Chairman, a Vice Chairman and Secretary, and file notice of such election with the office of the Town Clerk.
- The Commission shall keep a permanent record of its resolutions, transactions, decisions and determinations and of the vote of each member participating therein.
- The Commission shall undertake educational efforts to explain to the public and property owners the merits and functions of a district.